Bexar County Probation Improvement Project
On July 1, 2009, the Justice Center of the Council of State Governments (hereafter referred to as Justice Center) began an assessment of the Bexar County Community Supervision and Corrections Department (Bexar CSCD). The Justice Center’s goal was to measure the department’s operations against an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) operational model. Bill Fitzgerald, then Director of the Bexar CSCD, requested this assistance in early 2009. The effort was supported by the Department of Criminal Justice, Community Justice Assistance Division (from here on referred to as TDCJ-CJAD).
The results of the assessment and the plan were presented to the department and Bexar County officials in December 2009 in a report entitled Organizational Assessment and Modernization Plan of Bexar County Community Supervision and Corrections Department. Following the report, the Commissioner’s Court and the judiciary endorsed the recommendations in different resolutions (January 5, 2010 resolution by the District Court Judges; January 5, 2010 resolution by the Commissioner’s Court; January 8, 2010 resolution by the County Court at Law judges; and, a January 19, 2010 letter from the Bexar County District Attorney to the Justice Center).
In early 2011, judicial officials in Bexar County approached the Justice Center to conduct a re-assessment of the department to evaluate the progress made over the last year both in addressing the deficiencies of the department and implementing the modernization plan presented in the December 2009 report.
This report presents the results of the re-assessment and is Phase 2 of the Justice Center’s work in Bexar County. The Justice Center examined Bexar County CSCD’s progress in implementing the recommended changes along eight specific areas:
- Deployment of a computerized case management system
- Re-organization of caseloads from court-based assignments to department riskbased assessments and assignments
- Creation of department-wide supervision and sanctioning policies
- Provision of more effective services to the courts
- Re-organization of the PSI unit into a central diagnosis unit
- Re-organization of training and supervision to emphasize evidence-based practices and skills
- Re-design of the personnel evaluation and incentives system
- Creation of accountability and quality control systems
- Download the Progress Review of Modernization Plan of Bexar County Community Supervision and Corrections Department report.