Wichita Police Department
At A Glance
Total number of agency personnel: 897
Total population served: 389,000
Jurisdiction: City of Wichita, Kansas
- The department utilizes:
- a co-responder unit (Integrated Care Team),
- a mobile crisis team in conjunction with COMCARE, the largest community mental health center in Kansas, and
- a well-established and award-winning homeless outreach team (HOT).
- The HOT runs the “Finding a Way Home” program, where they reunite people experiencing homelessness with family around the country who are willing to provide housing or assistance.
- Two community support specialists are embedded within the police department and assist them in connecting families with public health programs for parent skill building, mental illness or substance use disorder services, and similar safety network supports.
- All officers in the Wichita Police Department have received Mental Health First Aid training and more than 100 have received Crisis Intervention Team training.