Bexar County Sheriff’s Office
At A Glance
Total number of agency personnel: 1,574
Total population served: 2 million
Jurisdiction: Bexar County, Texas
- Utilizes a Specialized Multidisciplinary Alternative Response Team (SMART) to respond to calls where a person is in crisis.
- SMART is made up of two teams working in tandem; one consisting of two sworn officers, the other is staffed by civilians (a medical EMT and a licensed clinician).
- There is also a follow-up arm to the operation, consisting of a peer support specialist and a care manager who contact all individuals who have interacted with the SMART co-responder unit.
- Dispatch plays a vital role in SMART’s deployment, and personnel are trained to deploy SMART only to nonviolent mental health calls where their impact can be greatest.
- Operates a mental health infirmary, dedicated mental health units, and a Detention Mental Health Evaluation team within the Bexar County Jail.